History of Milton Ontario

Milton is part of the Halton Region in the Great Toronto area and is located 40km west of Downtown Toronto. As of the 2011 census, Milton is considered the fastest growing municipality in the area.

The Fascinating History of Milton Ontario

In the beginning, Milton was empty land until Jasper Martin changed the course and the future of the area. Jasper Martin and his wife arrived from Newcastle, England in 1818 with their two sons. In 1820, Martin was granted 100 beautiful acres, which was granted to him from the crown. Mr. Martin took full advantage of the land, which also contained a creek. He soon began to build a grist mill along the creek. Mr. Martin also created a pond and found the creek to be useful and supply energy to his newly build grist mill. Today, the pond is commonly known as the Mill Pond.

The grist mill proved to be a success and gradually attracted many settlers to the area. By 1837, the area had a population of about 100 people. Many of the early settlers were primarily from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The principal property owners of the area were the Martins and the Fosters. Other settlers to the area included the Whitefields, Harrisons, Huffmans, Greenias and the Teetzels. The area was commonly known by the name “Mill Town”. As more settlers arrived, Mill Town gradually became the focus of a thriving farm community.

From Mill Town to "Milton"

In 1857 Milton was officially incorporated into a town. The name was changed from “Mill Town” to “Milton”. The town name Milton was chosen to honor the poet John Milton. The first town election was conducted and Mr. George Brown was elected the first Mayor of Milton.

The town of Milton began to develop and soon the first school was established in the area by Elizabeth Harrison. George Brown opened a store and the first post office in 1836. Dr. James Cobban was the first doctor that was established and helped all within the town of Milton and sometimes the surrounding area.

The first churches were built in the 1840’s, which introduced religion and promoted a community atmosphere within the town. Many of the settlers in Milton found comfort with the options of churches and the freedom to practice their chosen religious beliefs.

Mathias Teetzel began dividing property into lots in 1851. Once the lots were divided, Mr. Teetzel then offered them for sale. This offer gave the settlers of Milton a chance to purchase their very own piece of land to establish their homes and possible business ventures.

Rapid Development of the 1850 and 1860's

The town of Milton experienced rapid development from the 1850’s to the 1860’s. During this time, the first newspaper was established and provided updated details to the settlers in Milton. During the same time period, John Martin built the Town Hall and Marketplace, which now is used as offices for the chamber of commerce. The first Halton Agricultural Society Fair was also held during this time period.

By the late 1870’s the town experienced even more development and the railway came to town. The access to the railway brought more settlers and also allowed Milton’s already established settlers to travel directly from the town.

Milton had experienced a consistent stream of settlers to the town and by 1887, the waterworks system was installed. In 1891, electricity was introduced to the town and by 1893, 14 subscribers had signed up to take advantage of the telephone system.

Many of the residents in Milton enjoyed playing sports within the community. Sports such as cricket, lacrosse, curling, hockey and cycling were popular amongst the athletic settlers.

In 1908, the population in Milton had grown to about 1,500 and continued to grow. Around the time of the First World War, many young people from Milton chose to participate in the war. Unfortunately many of the young people perished during the war. A memorial was built to honor the lost and today still stands in Victoria Park. In addition to those honored in the First World War, soldiers who were involved in World War ll and the Korean war are also honored.

The Milton Hospital and Beyond

Although the town had an established doctor for many years, 1959 was the year the town’s first public hospital was opened to all residents. Before the public hospital was established, residents of Milton had only two options, the private hospital or to travel to another town for health related issues.

By 1974, Milton’s boundaries included the township of Nassagaweya and Campbellville. During the 20th century immigrants arrived from the commonwealth countries as well as all of the European countries. In the 21st century, immigrants began arriving from Asia, Central America, South America and the Middle East; with each culture contributing to the growth and development of Milton.

Today, Milton continues to experience growth and development at a rapid pace.